Perception of Demolition
Definition of Demolition:
The act or process of wrecking or destroying, especially destruction by explosives.
Synonym knocking down, levelling, destruction, explosives, wrecking, tearing down, bulldozing.
Despite the definition & perception of some, demolition is rarely as defined above.
Demolition is a deliberately planned process, unique to each contract, allowing deconstruction of a structure in the safest method.
This requires assessment on its own individual merits including, Identification, Understanding, assessment, mitigation & effective management of Risks;
- Type, size & condition of structure(s),
- Advice from structural engineers.
- Location, surrounding’s & environmental issues.
- Hazards & hazardous substances present or likely to be present.
- Detailed understanding & planning.
- Enabling works requirements.
- Retention of structures & infrastructure.
- Assessment of risks
- Mitigation of risk as a consequence of the works.